Friday, June 17 2022
How To Meet Your Employees' Personal Needs
Creating a positive workplace culture that successfully attracts and retains talented people will not happen by chance. The best employers truly believe that employees ARE their number one asset – without exception. Local workers choose to work there over other options.
How do you know if you are an employer of choice? Your employees tell you through their loyalty, high retention rates, and especially when they encourage others to work for your company. One best practice for becoming an employer of choice is to focus on your employees' personal needs.
There are two essential types of employee needs and these aren’t mutually exclusive:
- Personal needs – the human aspect that people bring to their work and to an interaction
- Practical needs – objectives accomplished through an interaction
Here are five key principles to meeting your employees’ personal needs, according to Development Dimensions International:
- Esteem: Focusing on facts, respect and support will help employees with their sense of self-worth, enabling them to be motivated, confident, innovative and committed to their work.
- Empathy: Acknowledging people’s feelings of success, failure, pride and frustration defuses negative emotions and encourages positive emotions.
- Involve: Show you value your people by asking for their input. Greater commitment and success is likely when ideas belong to the people who carry them out.
- Share: People work best with leaders they trust. Leaders should appropriately disclose thoughts, feelings or rationales.
- Support: Providing coaching, training, guidance and mentoring builds people’s sense of ownership and confidence.
Source: Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP) NIST
Want to learn more about successfully attracting employees?
Join our FREE webinar "Why Connection In The Workplace Matters" on June 24th from 11 am to 12 pm. Click here to register!
Looking for an in-person workshop? On June 28th, join Purdue MEP experts at the FREE two-hour workshop "Employee Retention is an Organizational Metric" from 8:30 - 10:30 am at the Digital Manufacturing Technology Center (DMTC). Click here to register!
- Benefits of Lean Automation in Manufacturing
- Workforce Development and Automation
- Innovative Training Approach Creates New Manufacturing Talent Pipeline for South Bend
- PTAC/IEDC Announces Additional Funding Available for Cybersecurity Assessments for Indiana Defense Companies
- Purdue MEP Sponsors Best IN Manufacturing Inaugural Event