Monday, April 25 2022
5 Tips for Building a Positive Workplace Culture
Creating a positive workplace culture that successfully attracts and retains talented people will not happen by chance. The best employers truly believe that employees ARE their number one asset – without exception. Workplace culture is an important aspect of employee retention. How can you improve your company culture?
- Articulate your core values: Have your management team present a long list of values to your employees and take a vote on the core values they can get behind. By being part of the process, they will own it. Make the top five part of your performance review process or accountability sessions with individual employees.
- Recognize employees: Regularly acknowledge employees whose actions or behaviors reflect one of your core values. Make it part of monthly companywide or daily shift meetings. At first, it may feel awkward, but stay the course and celebrate these victories. Your team will appreciate it.
- Lead by example: As a leader, it is important that you live by the ideals you promote. When you fail to live up to those standards, acknowledge it, pledge to do better, and ask your team to hold you accountable to that promise.
- Identify your cultural ambassadors: We all have team members who are amplifiers and influencers – people who other employees listen to. Engage them and make them your cultural ambassadors. They are usually pretty adept at winning the hearts and minds of fellow employees.
- Treat your people right: It sounds simple, right? But you probably often find yourself too busy putting out fires to stop and listen to your employees. Make the effort. Walk the floor, talk to your team members. Tell someone to cut out early to go to their kid’s game. A simple gesture or a thank you goes a long way.
Want to learn more about successfully attracting employees?
Visit our Employee Attraction & Retention page to discover all of the ways Purdue MEP can help!